"What's Lead Got To Do With It?" Luncheon a Success! Read More

Carbon Monoxide

Tell Your Friends: 

  • Tell Your Friends: 

Ohka Homehazards Carbonmonoxide Tn

Carbon Monoxide cannot be seen, smelled or tasted, and can be fatal when breathed.  The most common symptoms of CO poisoning are headache, dizziness, weakness, nausea, vomiting, chest pain, and confusion. High levels of CO inhalation can cause loss of consciousness and death.

CO is found in combustion fumes, such as those produced by cars and trucks, small gasoline engines, stoves, lanterns, burning charcoal and wood, and gas ranges and heating systems. CO from these sources can build up in enclosed or semi-enclosed spaces.

Here are some tips on how to prevent CO in your home:

  • Have your heating system, water heater and any other gas, oil, or coal burning appliances serviced by a qualified technician every year.

  • Do not use portable flameless chemical heaters (catalytic) indoors. Although these heaters don’t have a flame, they burn gas and can cause CO to build up inside your home, cabin, or camper.

  • Install a battery-operated CO detector in your home near sleeping areas and check or replace the battery when you change the time on your clocks each spring and fall. Place one CO detector on every level.

Read more about LB 34 — a bill that requires CO detectors be installed when homes are sold, rented or significantly renovated.

Thanks for reading.
Remember to help us spread the word!

What’s Next:

More Resources
Ohka Website People Saul Why We
Do This
Why We Do This

Seeing our promotores go through the GLEE program and then thrive has been so rewarding. We make an impact on children's health—but we have also helped many people reach a level of confidence that will impact their entire lives. We have really changed people's lives in many more ways than we predicted.

– Saul Lopez, Director of Operations